Tuesday 23 December 2008

Hole Needs Looking Into!


OK, this is the trench being dug by hand by BSNL up my road. This guy was one of many, hard at work before the day got too hot. See what I mean by the orangey soil?

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times at SISP today. Best, because the pressure of the Christmas decorations was off me. I could relax and try to be friendly with the kids, to make up for my tension-induced grumpiness. Worst, because I found myself not needed. All exam papers were being marked and results were being given to the children. I had no part in this. Actually I felt a bit overlooked and neglected, but I suppose the teachers had good reason, being preoccupied with school matters. As the children would be finishing early and there'd be a staff meeting (in Malayalam) afterwards, I decided to leave mid-afternoon after doing a bit of exam invigilating and marking some computing tests.

Two nice things happened today. One was when a little girl came up to me while I was sitting on a step, gave me a hug and put her head on my shoulder. Ahhh! The other was to hear from Phil Morgan that his wife, Jackie, had mentioned their recent visit to Kovalam to her work colleagues and as a consequence the Christmas whip round was in aid of SISP. £215! Brilliant!

Oh, and I found a new route to work too. It's a path which is away from the busy roads yet isn't too far from them. It would be hazardous in the dark but a nice alternative for the mornings or for days when I finish early.

No comments:

Post a Comment