Tuesday 16 December 2008

Akhil Illuminations

This is a "Hindustan Ambassador" and they're everywhere in India. Lumbering but spacious, from a bygone era, they are a great favourite with tourists. The design is based on the Morris Oxford from the 1950's and it's hardly evolved since that time. I mention it because I pass Akhil Motors on my walk to work, where they service these old beasts. They are usually working on a couple of Ambassadors under shelter, another two in their yard (amongst the old yellowing ones which are presumably donor vehicles), and another two in the road. They don't have inspection pits or fancy vehicle lifts, just scissor jacks and lumps of wood. I mention them because, as a token acknowledgement of Christmas, the garage have slung up six illuminated flashing stars. The stars have a lop-sided flash, three come on for maybe 2 seconds then the other three come on for 1 second (very ish). The flash looked very familiar and it didn't take me too long to figure out what it was... they must've used a car flasher unit to switch the bulbs! They've used the old-fashioned, non-electronic, bi-metal strip type where the delay depends on the load. With a heavy load the delay becomes long with noticeably uneven on/off periods. This kind of stuff fascinates me, sad old git that I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment